Title: Water Foreman
Department: Department of Public Works – Water & Sewer Division
Salary: $29.1293 per hour, $60,588.94 annually (biweekly pay periods)
Union: Foreman’s Union
- Under direction of the Water/Sewer Supervisor, supervise working crews in the installation and maintenance of the municipal water system.
- Supervise the tapping of water mains; installation of home water services; and installation of hydrants, valves, cast iron and copper water pipe, and related items to be installed within the water distribution system.
- Supervise the repair/replacement of home water service and broken water mains, hydrants, valves, and related items in the water distribution systems.
- Inspect and test water system hydrants.
- Read maps and be knowledgeable of locations related to water works, sewer/drain pipes, gas pipe, fire alarms and telephone lines. Maintain knowledge of pumps utilized in department operations.
- Locate and mark out water mains for contractors preparing to excavate, trench and/or lay pipe.
- Supervise the safe use of all equipment and ensure compliance with safety rules and regulations by department staff.
- Assist inspecting work performed by outside private contractors.
- Serve on-call to respond to Water Department emergencies as required, including assisting at general alarm fires, water main breaks, and customer complaints.
- Perform other related duties as assigned, including, but not limited to, snow and ice operations.
Duties require knowledge equivalent to graduation from high school and specialized knowledge of equipment and map reading. Water Distribution Operator’s license is required. Must have Grade 3 Distribution License or obtain within six months of employment. Work requires three to four years of experience in water construction and repair operations.
Under direction, function in accordance with general assignments for construction and maintenance projects, referring to the Supervisor on major equipment problems or personnel issues.
APPLICATIONS ARE AVAILABLE IN THE PERSONNEL OFFICE
Application and full job description available in the city Personnel Department – www.cityoflawrence.com.
The city of Lawrence is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS are provided to applicants with disabilities. If you need reasonable accommodations for any part of the application and/or hiring process, please notify the Personnel Director at 978-620-3060. The decision to grant reasonable accommodations will be made on a case-by-case basis.