The town of Gray, Maine, is accepting applications for the position of Town Manager. Located in Cumberland County, Gray is within 30 miles of nearly 40% of Maine’s population, including Portland, Lewiston/Auburn, Brunswick, and Freeport. Gray prides itself on its small-town character, rural appeal, sense of community, and it strives to provide residents an outstanding quality of life.
Gray is taking charge of its future and managing its growth to provide opportunities for its citizens while protecting the quality of life that attracts people to make Gray their home. The comprehensive plan passed in 2020 outlines the community’s desire to protect its rural character and natural resources while diversifying its tax base by attracting businesses that see Gray’s value and opportunity. The town is looking for someone to lead implementation of the community created goals.
Gray has a population of 8,427, with 39 full-time and 54 part-time staff. Its annual budget, excluding schools, is $9.3 million, including capital expenditures. Gray operates under a town charter with a five-member Town Council/Town Manager form of government. Councilors are elected for staggered three-year terms. Citizens vote annually on the town budget.
The ideal candidate:
- Will have demonstrated an ability to listen, engage and communicate effectively with elected officials, staff and citizens and build strong trusting relationships with public and private stakeholders.
- Be an experienced manager from an environment of similar complexity with proven organizational and professional skills.
- Is well versed in finance, capital planning, employee relations, unions, community planning and economic development.
- Committed to helping the council prioritize its goals and projects, and work with staff to see those goals and projects completed successfully.
- Able to provide examples of successful and effective employees hired, coached, developed and retained with examples of their achievements; and articulate why people would want to join their team.
- A person of integrity, whom others see as a role model.
- Committed to the standards for municipal management professionals specified by the International City Management Association and the Maine Town and City Management Association.
- An open, confident, and effective verbal and written communicator with strong facilitation and presentations skills who can promote the town.
- Willing to engage and become part of the fabric of the community. Residency in Gray is preferred but not required, with Town Council approval.
The council is seeking candidates with a minimum of five years of demonstrated municipal, governmental management experience as a manager or a similar or non-profit position with private business experience.
Applicants will possess a bachelor’s degree in public or business administration, or a closely related field, with a master’s degree a plus. The salary range is $110,000 to $135,000, to be determined based on experience and qualifications.
For more information about Gray, please visit www.graymaine.org.
Submit a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and five references by Nov. 28 to:
Gray Town Manager Search
Eaton Peabody Consulting Group
Attn: Don Gerrish
The town of Gray is an equal opportunity employer.