The Quabbin Health District, a MGL Chapter 111, Section 27A district comprised of the towns of Belchertown, Pelham, and Ware is accepting applications for a part-time, unbenefitted, Support Staff position.
To support Quabbin Health District staff in administrative duties, projects, and inspections to promote and protect the public health of our residents in the Quabbin Health District, which includes the towns of Belchertown, Pelham, and Ware.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Fills in for Administrative Assistant and Senior Clerk to cover the Ware or Belchertown Board of Health offices during vacations.
- Prepares Pelham bookkeeping/accounting: recording payments, balance money received, preparing, and submitting money turnovers to town Treasurer.
- Licensing and permits: prepares annual licenses for Pelham and processes the permits, recording payments, maintaining records, mailing/calling reminders, scanning and emailing. On occasion may need to provide similar supportive tasks to Administrative Assistant and Senior Clerk for Ware and Belchertown Board of Health offices.
- Attends monthly Pelham Board of Health meetings, coordinating, scheduling, and posting Board of Health Meetings, creating agendas, notifying appointments, taking, and typing meeting minutes, maintaining records. On occasion may need to provide support to Administrative Assistant and Senior Clerk for Ware and Belchertown Board of Health meetings or public hearings.
- Works on administrative projects for the Quabbin Health District at the direction and guidance of the Director of Public Health.
- Assists, as needed, with food establishment inspections: conducts comprehensive inspections of permitted “low risk” food establishments, temporary food events and mobile food trucks to ensure they are in compliance with the state, federal, and local regulations.
- Assists as needed, the Public Health Nurse with vaccination clinics; distributing informational materials and flyers; and tabling at public events.
- Participates in public health programs in the community as required.
- Occasionally required to attend local board of health meetings, work evenings and weekends. Maintaining knowledge of open meeting laws and State Ethics Commission.
Education, Training, and Experience:
High school education. Associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree in science, public health or related field preferred; two to three years of experience, preferably in a municipal work environment, public health field, or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Specific certifications for inspections or must obtain within one year of hire. We train on the job!
- ServSafe food protection manager certification
- Massachusetts PHIT related trainings and certifications
- LPHI foundations course or must obtain within 18 months of hire.
Knowledge, Ability, and Skill:
Knowledge: Must have ability to understand and interpret public health laws and regulations; perform multiple tasks simultaneously despite interruptions. Must have knowledge of office practices and procedures, departmental operations and procedures. Must have strong writing skills, including the skill to document legal and statutory requirements. Must have computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets and data management, organization and communication skills.
Ability: Ability to meet and work with municipal colleagues and the public effectively and appropriately; to effectively handle problems in the field; to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing; to operate a computer; to maintain confidential information; and to maintain, manage, and organize records. Ability to manage multiple tasks in a detailed and organized manner and prioritize workload.
Skill: Excellent planning and organizational skills. Excellent employee relations and customer skills. Intermediate or higher-level skill in Microsoft Office suite, including Excel, PowerPoint, and Word, proficient oral and written communication skills. Skilled in website utilization, online permitting and tablet based inspectional software use. Moderate skill in utilizing GIS to find information about properties in the towns.
This is a part-time, 18 hours/week, unbenefitted position. Starting salary rate is $28/hour.
For a full job description, please visit http://quabbinhealthdistrict.com for more information, or to apply for the position, please send request or resume with cover letter to Administrative Assistant, Betty Barlow. Email to email@example.com or mail to Quabbin Health District ATTN: Betty Barlow, 126 Main St., Ware MA, 01082.
The Quabbin Health District is an equal opportunity employer.