Please apply on the town of Oxford’s website.
Senior Clerk/Data Collector
Requisition Code: SRCLKD
Classification: Non-Exempt – Hourly
Pay Range: Level 9, Step 1-11 $17.59-$26.52 per hour
Reports to: Assessor.
Date: May 11
Under the general direction of the Assessor, the Senior Clerk/Data Collector will perform a variety of duties according to departmental procedures. This full-time position will require the ability to do field inspections and provide general clerical assistance in the Assessing Office.
The Senior Clerk/Data Collector is responsible for:
- Performing field inspections.
- Provide clerical support in the Assessing Office.
- Provide assistance in completing forms.
- Answer telephone calls.
- Responding to residents’ inquiries.
- Assist Assessor, as directed.
- Update property records and tax maps.
- Create excise and real estate certificates.
- Adjust state auto excise tax bills.
- Type reports and other correspondence.
- Perform sales, building permits and cyclical inspections of all properties in the town of Oxford.
- Required to measure and enter data on all improvement of property into computer.
- Verify vacant parcels.
- Perform other duties, as required.
Work is partially performed in typical office conditions. Operates laser measures, tape measures, computers, typewriters, calculators, and other office equipment. Work responsibilities are variable with periods of extreme activity occurring several times a year. Work is often fast-paced and has high pressure. The position requires frequent communication with other town departments, attorneys, and the public. Communication is by means of telephone, in-person discussion, email and in writing. Errors could result in delay and confusion and have significant legal and/or financial repercussions.
Work is performed in typical office conditions. Work responsibilities are variable with periods of extreme activity occurring several times a year. Must be able to walk on uneven ground to measure buildings.
Establish own work plan and priorities using procedures approved by the Assessor and Assistant Assessor. Problems lacking clear precedent are reviewed with supervisors before taking action.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
Full-time, benefits eligible position; 40 hours per week.
Required Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent with emphasis on business course training.
- One year of real estate-related field experience.
- Six months of office experience.
- Manual skills combined with finger dexterity required to operate computers.
- Basic knowledge of the use of computer equipment.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows is preferred.
- Basic understanding of Massachusetts General Laws governing land use, tax assessment and/or appraisal methodologies is helpful.
- Proven customer support experience.
- Customer orientation and ability to adapt/respond to different types of characters.
Provide appropriate documentation to verify your authorization to work in the United States.
The town is committed to providing equal employment opportunities. The town will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally protected class status including, but not limited to, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation as defined by law, national origin, member of uniformed military services, physical or mental disability, age as defined by law, or genetic information.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.