The town of Marshfield seeks candidates for the position of Town Accountant. Under the general direction of the Town Administrator, Finance Director, the Town Accountant is responsible for the administration and operation of the Accounting Division within the town’s Finance Department. Ensures compliance with annual state and federal reporting and records requirements.
Salary and Benefits
Marshfield is an excellent place to work with an attractive benefits package. Benefits include a defined benefit pension program, generous vacation package, life insurance options, a dental plan option, and deferred compensation options. The town anticipates negotiating a regionally competitive total compensation package with the chosen candidate, up to $110,000-$130,000, DOQ.
Marshfield is a repeat CAFRA (Certificate of Excellence in Financial Reporting) award recipient; triple AA+ bond rating and SP+1. FY24 budget for the town and the schools is $109 million.
The town of Marshfield is located in Plymouth County, the heart of the southeastern part of Massachusetts. Marshfield is a coastal community located 30 miles from Boston. Marshfield has a yearly population of about 25,000 people which grows to about 40,000 in the summer months. Abutting communities include the town of Scituate and the towns of Duxbury, Pembroke, Norwell, and Hingham. Marshfield has an Open Town Meeting form of government with an elected three-member Select Board and an appointed Town Administrator.
Marshfield is 31.70 square miles in area, and contains 28.50 square miles of land and 3.25 square miles of water. Among the basic services provided to residents are public safety, schools, water and sewer, trash removal, recreation, public library and senior center. The town’s water and sewer and trash operations are managed through enterprise funds.
Marshfield is active throughout the year with events such as the Marshfield Fair, which attracts visitors from all over the state. The community takes pride in the education it offers, robust sports programs and in its unique environmental beauty, both on the coast and inland.
Marshfield Finance Structure
The financial structure of the town includes an Accounting Department, Assessing Department, and Treasurer/Collector Department. The total staff of the three departments is currently 12, including: Town Account, Assistant Town Accountant, Encumbrance Control, Treasurer/Collector, Assistant Treasurer/Collector, Revenue Manager, Payroll, two Collectors Clerks, Principal Assessor, Assistant Assessor and one Administrative Assistant to the Assessor’s Office.
Town Accountant Responsibilities
The town of Marshfield seeks a highly qualified professional to work closely with the Town Administration in providing direct oversight to all accounting operations of the town.
- Maintains and audits the town’s ledger through the municipal accounting system and administers internal/external financial reporting in discharging the duties of the office. Supervises the accounts payable functions for the town. Work includes maintaining a complete set of financial records for all appropriations, expenditures, receipts, assessments, levies and abatements initiated by town departments; maintenance of chart of accounts; approval and auditing of all payrolls, bills, drafts, orders and other expenditures to ensure accuracy, and adherence to appropriate procedures and availability of funds. Budget experience required.
- Promotes technical expertise and technological advancements in the town’s fiscal operations and will assist in developing and implementing a comprehensive program of financial policies, procedures, and internal controls, which constitute an integral component of the total management of fiscal concepts and practices.
The Ideal Candidate
Marshfield’s Town Accountant will be:
- A highly capable, experienced financial manager.
- A professional with strong knowledge of municipal finance and GASB standards and requirements.
- A leader who values teamwork within and across departments.
- An effective communicator, both in person and in writing, who can clearly articulate financial priorities, policies and procedures.
- A strategic thinker and problem solver able to initiate and manage positive change.
- Able to successfully articulate the information about the town’s finances, not only within and between departments, but to the elected and appointment boards and commissions, the Finance Committee, Town Meeting and the public, as well as to federal and state agencies.
BA bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting, economics, finance or related field and five to seven years of municipal experience in accounting and/or finance, with at least three years of supervisory experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, certification and experience. UMAS accounting, municipal financial software, Massachusetts procurement and Massachusetts governmental accountant certification preferred.
Application and Selection Process
Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications to: DKerrigan@Townofmarshfield.org. Please combine all documents in a single PDF file and include your last name and Marshfield Town Accountant in the subject line. Review of resumes will begin on Feb. 23.
An interview team will review all resumes to determine which candidates to invite for a preliminary interview. Final interviews will be conducted by the Prescreening Committee with final appointment made by the Select Board.