The University of Massachusetts Lowell seeks applications for a Grounds Operations Manager. The Grounds Operations Manager is responsible for the overall appearance and care of 175 acres of urban University grounds. This care covers lawn spaces, landscaping, tree maintenance, turf maintenance, recreational and intercollegiate field preparation, and campus infrastructure such as roads, sidewalks, parking lots and parking garage maintenance. They will be responsible for managing, coordinating, directing, and supervising a grounds staff of 10; managing the financial budget for the grounds department; and instruction and training of employees in equipment usage and safety. The position also conducts studies and makes recommendations regarding new grounds equipment and operational procedures. This position also has lead oversight of the University after-hours and regular hours snow removal and inclement weather response, and motor pool operations for 80+ vehicles and 15 pieces of department equipment. The Grounds Operations Manager is also an active participant in key university activities such as commencement and opening of school.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Associate’s degree in turf management, horticulture or landscape architecture or directly related field and a minimum of seven years of successful supervisory experience with grounds maintenance, athletic facilities care and winter weather operations. Or:
- Associate’s degree and a minimum of 10 years of successful supervisory experience with grounds maintenance, athletic facilities care and winter weather operations. Or:
- Technical training and a minimum of twelve years of successful supervisory experience with grounds maintenance, athletic facilities care and winter weather operations.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of lawns, plant materials, athletic turf (natural & synthetic), irrigation systems and general landscape and grounds maintenance work scheduling
- Valid Massachusetts Pest control license is required.
- Demonstrated experience of vehicle fleet management operations and development of preventative maintenance programs for grounds and snow equipment.
- Possession of a valid state driver’s license.
- Ability to establish and maintain productive relationships and communications with campus community and local government officials.
- Working knowledge of OSHA and ADA Regulations.
- Must serve in emergency after-hour and recall situations as needed.
- Demonstrated strong commitment to customer service
- Bachelor’s degree – advanced degrees and continuing education in landscape design or related field a plus
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the common maintenance methods of roads, curbs, sidewalks, parking lots, parking garages.
- Experience in urban landscaping and/or an institutional setting.
- Demonstrated proficiency with a work order/ PM.
- Current CDL license for heavy equipment operation.
- Working knowledge of Massachusetts Building Codes.
- Management of staff in a union environment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer.