The town of Southampton is seeking a new Fire Chief/Director of Emergency Medical Services. The ideal candidate for the position will be a highly skilled individual looking to be a strong leader for this highly visible department.
The candidate will possess strong fire and emergency medical response, public safety, and emergency management skills. The Chief needs to be able to run a new fire department of both full-time and call firefighters/paramedics.
The next Chief must be able to confidently continue the development of the department. This may include a revision of standard operating procedures, training, and employee retention. One of the major challenges facing the department is full-time staffing. Southampton struggles to ensure the appropriate staffing of the department. In particular, the recruitment and retention of paramedic firefighters will need to be addressed by the next Chief.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Minimum of a post secondary degree in fire science, public administration, management, or a related field.
- Certified as a firefighter I/II, fire officer I, II, III, and fire instructor Level I.
- Current certification at a minimum of EMT-basic.
- Minimum of 10 years of fire service experience and demonstration of a commitment towards continuing education and training.
- Must become certified as a fire officer Level IV and accredited as a Massachusetts fire chief within 18 months of appointment.
- Must complete Massachusetts chief fire officer training within 24 months of appointment.
- Holds self and staff accountable.
- Possess strong conflict resolution skills; ability to remain calm in a crisis.
- Strong communicator; active listener.
- Focuses on community service.
- Must possess the ability to lead and motivate paid, paid call, and volunteer firefighters.
- Must possess extensive knowledge of local, state, and federal fire codes.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of emergency management guidelines and the ability to direct the activities of many individuals simultaneously during emergency situations.
- Must possess the ability to motivate personnel, build a spirit of teamwork, and ability to develop positive community relations.
- If selected, must agree to comply with residence requirements as stated in the employment agreement.
This is a full-time exempt, minimum of 40 hours a week, benefitted position with the expectation of being on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Annual Salary: $110,000+/-, depending on qualifications. The town of Southampton is an equal opportunity employer.
For additional information related to the position, the town, and the application process, visit https://www.townofsouthampton.org/get-connected/jobs or contact Ed Gibson, Town Administrator, email@example.com. The position is open until filled with a first review of résumés on or after Nov. 27, 3 p.m. EST. Send résumé and cover letter in a single PDF by email, in confidence, Subject: Southampton Fire Chief, to: firstname.lastname@example.org.