TOWN OF GEORGETOWN
Office of the Treasurer/Collector
Town Hall, One Library Street, Georgetown, MA 01833
Phone: 978-352-5770, Fax: 978-352-5716
NOTICE OF JOB POSTING
FULL-TIME FINANCE CLERK
Under the supervision of the Treasurer/Collector, assists in the daily operations; processes tax payments, provides customer service, and prepares bank deposits.
Under the supervision of the Town Accountant to help ensure the accurate maintenance of the town’s financial records and accounting of funds, and other related duties as required.
Successful candidate will have a background in accounting or other related field; should possess knowledge of municipal accounting practices and procedures and demonstrate a strong understanding of the laws and regulations pertaining to Massachusetts and town government. Candidate must exhibit strong written and verbal skills, illustrate attention to detail and accuracy, and have the aptitude to become proficient with municipal financial software (MUNIS) and Microsoft applications (specifically Word and Excel). Ideal candidate must be able to handle multiple tasks and deal effectively with regular interruptions; ability to deal with the public in a courteous and consistent manner.
Must be a US citizen and qualify for fidelity bond as required by law.
This position is 32 hours per week (Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.) Hourly rate not to exceed $19 per hour depending on experience.
Please submit resume and letter of interest to Town Administrator’s Office via email to Mshultz@georgetownma.gov. Position to be filled ASAP. ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS ONLY
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Handles telephone inquiries and requests at the Treasurer/Collector window. Responds to a variety of inquiries, requests, and concerns relating to this department (payments, public information requests, and information for personal income taxes).
- Print vendor checks for accounts payable; prepare for distribution (mailing or pick up as required).
- Collects, processes, and posts payments of town taxes (Real Estate, Personal Property, and Motor Vehicle Excise). Posts payments and maintains necessary spreadsheets and prepares turn-in on a daily basis.
- Process and post receipts received from the Deputy Collector.
- Prepares and makes bank deposits.
- Sort and distribute daily mail for the department.
- Performs other related duties as needed.
Town Accountant’s Office:
- Communicate with vendors, and consultants.
- Verify invoices; verify budget accounts for sufficient balance; run reports for warrants.
- Post all departmental cash receipts.
- Prepare monthly budget report and verify accuracy of totals.
- Distribute reports to departments and provide information pertaining to balances and expenditures.
- Maintain vendor files; issue W-9 forms; process reports to generate 1099 forms.
- Reconcile revolving accounts.
- Perform similar or related work as required, directed, or as situation dictates.