The Central Massachusetts Regional Planning Commission (CMRPC) seeks candidates for a full-time (37.5 hours/week) position of Executive Assistant within the agency’s Administrative Department. The Executive Assistant will serve as a key member of the agency’s administrative team, which includes human resources, organizational administration, finance, office management, communications, compliance, accounts payable and accounts receivable, as well as some IT functions. Reporting directly to the Executive Director and working day-to-day with the administrative team, responsible for varied duties requiring the exercise of independent judgment with considerable discretion and tactfulness.
Exciting projects in a supportive, flexible, and respectful organization.
CMRPC is the regional planning agency (RPA) serving the 40 communities and people who live and work in southern Worcester County. Our mission is to improve the quality of life for those who live and work in the region. Join our team with supportive colleagues making real impacts in the communities of central Massachusetts.
CMRPC supports the complete team member as we work on meaningful, innovative, and exciting projects while respecting and supporting the individual’s wellness and a balanced and fulfilling work life. We take pride in the diversity of our workforce and encourage all qualified people to apply. CMRPC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, religious creed, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veteran’s status, and/or ancestry. Reasonable accommodation will be provided where needed.
CMRPC’s office includes a staff of approximately 46 full-time employees, four part-time staff and several interns. Our main office is located in the Worcester Central Business District in a transit-accessible and bike-friendly office, LEED-certified building. Many employees take advantage of work from home opportunities. For further detail on CMRPC, please visit www.cmrpc.org.
The Executive Assistant should possess exceptional organizational skills, the ability to attend to details while multitasking, a pleasant professional demeanor, a strong work ethic, and a willingness to learn. This individual should have excellent word processing, document proofing, event management abilities, social media experience, and website management skills.
The ability to interact with the public, staff, and stakeholders in a fast-paced environment, sometimes under pressure with deadlines, while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful, and efficient, with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality is crucial to this role. This position requires strong oral and written communication skills with attention to detail and the ability to manage emails, create documents, prepare agendas, transcribe detailed minutes, type, proofread, and edit with precision.
The candidate is preferred to have familiarity with government and public sector operations, the Open Meeting Law, with public records requirements, and have the initiative and ability to create an efficient organization system and to coordinate and execute a variety of activities and/or projects. This individual must have the ability to deal with challenging situations, problem solve, prioritize tasks, create, and maintain a professional work environment, and be flexible enough to deal with the daily challenges of a dynamic office environment.
- Prepares agendas for public meetings and is responsible for the recording and detailed transcription of minutes, in accordance with Open Meeting Law.
- Organizes all CMRPC activities and events related to on-site, virtual, or hybrid meetings, including scheduling, room setup, technology/digital troubleshooting, catering, and organizing meeting materials.
- Establishes effective and professional public relations with stakeholders by being the first point of contact with stakeholders and the public.
- Assists with dynamic and consistent CMRPC monthly newsletters, press releases, and marketing materials by organizing, formatting, and proofreading content that professionally represents the commission.
- Assists with social media content that is consistent with best practices and the overall messaging of the commission.
- Maintains the current stakeholder contact lists and explores reorganizing the contact lists with the guidance of the administrative team.
- Assists with the purchasing functions of the office.
- Researches and maintains filings of municipal public hearings and meetings.
Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of five years of progressive experience in administrative, public relations, secretarial work, and planning events; excellent digital, verbal, and written communication skills required. Experience working in government and the public sector is strongly preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred degree concentration in business administration, marketing, public relations, communications, journalism, public policy, or a related field preferred. Master’s degree will be considered with three years of experience. The successful applicant will demonstrate all or most of the following skills:
- Strong writing, analytical, communication, and time management skills.
- A professional empathetic, optimistic, enthusiastic, demeanor and a positive “can do” attitude.
- A task-oriented work ethic and excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems independently in a resourceful and innovative manner.
- Ability to proactively set priorities and multitask without compromising attention to detail.
- Understanding of multi-step processes and how to work within them in a team environment.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines while not being afraid to ask questions.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, particularly Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat Suite, WordPress, Canva, and Constant Contact.
- Perform other duties as assigned or deemed necessary to the position.
This is a full-time position with an excellent state employee benefits package. Standard work week is five days (37.5 hours/week). Candidates must have legal authorization to work in the USA and a valid driver’s license and/or the ability to arrange transportation to meetings in different parts of the region. Candidate must be willing to adhere to all active and future public safety requirements (including mask and/or vaccination mandates). Most CMRPC staff currently work remotely at least in part. However, all staff must be available for in-person meetings within the region as needed, and it is expected that staff be available for in-office work as is appropriate for their work assignments. Some evening and night meetings will be required.
The anticipated starting salary range is $55,000 to $63,000 depending on experience and qualifications. In addition to competitive compensation, CMRPC offers a great work environment and an excellent benefits package, including membership in the Massachusetts State Employees’ Retirement System. This position is exempt under the guidelines of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act. If you can bring a competitive streak, relevant skills and experience, and a strong work ethic to CMRPC in this capacity, please submit your cover letter, resume, and three professional references supporting your qualifications, to CMRPC, Janet A. Pierce, Executive Director, One Mercantile St., Suite 520, Worcester, MA 01608 by email to email@example.com. The position is open until filled or canceled, with priority to candidates who apply by Feb. 9.