FULL-TIME DIRECTOR OF ASSESSING
Town of Stoughton
The town of Stoughton (population 27,000+/-) is seeking qualified candidates for the non-union, full-time position of Director of Assessing. The Director is responsible for a variety of administrative, appraisal functions and supervisory work in managing the Assessors’ Department, including appraisal of residential, commercial, industrial and personal properties.
Duties and Responsibilities Including, But Not Limited to:
Assists with the development and oversees the computerized data to meet state mandated certification standards in accordance with the Department of Revenue regulations and Massachusetts General Laws. Prepares classification hearing documents for presentation to the Board of Selectmen for their Tax Classification Hearing. Works with Town Accountant to prepare Recapitulation Reports for annual certification of tax rates and Revaluation Consultants to certify, annually, values statistically acceptable to the Division of Local Services. Supervises staff and contractors, critiques abatement and exemption requests, as well as negotiates settlements of outstanding tax appeals. Some field work necessary, as well as ability to read deeds and plans. Performs all other related work as required.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree with three to five years of experience in assessment administration, real estate appraisal, or related business experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two years of management or supervisory duties in assessment administration and real estate appraisal.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be a Massachusetts Accredited Assessor (MAA) or other related professional designation.
- Computer skills with Microsoft Word and Excel and familiarity with the AssessPro C.A.M.A. system and Munis preferred.
- The candidate should also have excellent skills with dealing with customer service and communication.
All applicants must be able to pass a criminal background/CORI check and a pre-employment physical, including drug testing.
Starting Salary: $95,000/Year – Negotiable Based Upon Experience
Resumes will be accepted until position filled at: Department of Human Resources, Town of Stoughton, 10 Pearl St., Stoughton, MA 02072. AA/EOE.
The town of Stoughton is committed to the ongoing pursuit of strategic diversity initiatives that help to position diversity, equity, and inclusion as central to municipal and community-wide excellence in the town. In doing so, Stoughton strives for a town culture and environment that fosters a true sense of belonging for all and provides opportunity for everyone to participate equally and fully in the town, communities, and neighborhoods.
“The town of Stoughton is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender or gender identity, familial status, disability, ancestry, age, marital status, public assistance status, sexual orientation, veteran history/military status or genetic information.”