The city of Waterville, Maine is accepting applications for the position of City Manager. Located in central Maine on the banks of the Kennebec River, Waterville is a diverse and vibrant full service community and is the home to Colby and Thomas Colleges. Recent investments in museums, hotels, office renovations, housing expansion, campus expansions, and Kennebec River waterfront development have created an arts and cultural center with a walkable and exciting downtown. Waterville has an airport, two hospitals and a historic downtown.
Waterville has a charter with a Mayor/City Council/City Manager form of government with the Mayor and the seven-member City Council elected for staggered three-year terms. Waterville has a population of 16,827, a municipal budget of $23.2 million, and a total budget with the school department of $51.6 million. It has 135 full-time municipal employees.
The Ideal Candidate:
- A demonstrated and dynamic leader who is forward-thinking, fair-minded, transparent, thinks outside the box, plans for the long term and can lead the city.
- An effective and experienced manager from an environment of similar complexity with proven organizational and professional skills.
- Extremely organized and focused with excellent time management skills and can effectively coordinate several tasks simultaneously.
- An individual who has strong skills in finance and capital planning, human resources, employee relations and unions, planning, and community and downtown economic development.
- Strong in written, verbal and public presentation skills and able to promote the city in a variety of communications.
- The ability to work positively and effectively with staff and promote positive morale and team building in the organization.
- Able to listen, engage, understand, and sustain relationships with all stakeholders (public and private partnerships).
- Articulates clearly achievable goals to staff, provides tools and resources to achieve the goals and expects accountability.
- Experience working in a community with colleges or universities.
- Understands and has worked with diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
- A person of unquestionable ethics and integrity, committed to the standards for municipal management professionals specified by the International City Management Association (ICMA) and Maine Town, City, and County Management Association (MTCMA).
- Willing to engage and become part of the community. Residency in Waterville is mandatory per the city charter.
The City Council is seeking candidates with a minimum of five to seven years of demonstrated municipal executive management experience or similar related private business experience. Applicants will possess a bachelor’s degree in public or business administration or a closely related field. A master’s degree is preferred. Salary range is $130,000 to $160,000 and will be determined based on experience and qualifications.
For further information about Waterville, please visit www.waterville-me.gov.
The city of Waterville is strongly committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in its workforce and is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Submit cover letter, resume, salary requirements and five references by Tuesday, March 21 to:
Waterville Manager Search
Eaton Peabody Consulting Group
Attn: Don Gerrish
77 Sewall St., Suite 3000
Augusta, Maine 04330