Gardiner Maine, with a year-round population of 5,800, is seeking an experienced, professional leader for its next City Manager. Gardiner is in the heart of Maine at the confluence of I-95 and I-295 and is an unspoiled, authentic New England community with a historic downtown, and is located within hours of Maine’s famous coast and mountain regions, and less than an hour’s drive from Portland, Maine’s largest city.
Gardiner operates under a Charter with a Mayor /City Council/City Manager form of government. Four members of the Council are elected from districts and the Mayor and three Council members are at elected at large. All terms are for two years. It has 62 full-time employees and 6 part-time employees with an annual budget of $6.7 million which includes Police, Fire, and Library. The city also has an Ambulance Enterprise budget of $1.5 million and a Wastewater Enterprise budget of $1.7 million. Gardiner is the largest member of RSU/MSAD 11 School District which includes three other towns.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- A demonstrated and dynamic leader who is forward-thinking, fair-minded, and transparent, thinks outside the box;
- An effective and experienced manager from an environment of similar complexity who has proven strong organizational and professional skills;
- An individual who has strong finance, capital, human resources, employee relations, planning and community and economic development skills, including a proven ability to accurately prepare and project sustainable municipal budgets;
- Skills to listen, engage, understand, and sustain relationships with all stakeholders; public and private partnerships; economic development skills;
- A candidate with unquestionable ethics and integrity and committed to the standards for municipal management professionals specified by the International City Management Association and Maine Town and City Management Association;
- Strong written, verbal and public presentation skills and promotes the city in a variety of communications;
- Willingness to engage and become part of the fabric of the community and residency in Gardiner is desired but not mandatory.
The Council prefers candidates with a minimum of five years of demonstrated municipal management experience or similar related private business experience.
Applicants will possess a bachelor’s degree in public or business administration or a closely related field with a master’s degree preferred. Salary range is $85,000-$100,000 and will be determined based on experience and qualifications.
Submit cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and five references electronically by October 28, 2021 to:
Gardiner Manager Search
c/o Eaton Peabody Consulting Group
Attn: Don Gerrish
The City of Gardiner is an Equal Opportunity Employer.