Associate Inspection Engineer
Inspectional Services Department, City of Boston
Please apply through the City of Boston Career Center Associate Inspection Engineer(Isd) Inspectional Services Dept
This is a provisional appointment.
Brief Job Description (essential functions of the job):
Under the general supervision of the Assistant Commissioner of Planning and Zoning, Inspectional Services Department.
- Examines building applications and plans to ensure compliance with the Massachusetts Building Code, Electrical and Mechanical Codes, Boston Zoning Ordinances, and other related laws, ordinances, regulations, codes or federal standards with considerable latitude for independent decision making ability relative to in-depth review of building plans, mechanical systems and electrical requirements of new and altered structures within the city of Boston.
- Performs related duties as required.
Minimum Entrance Qualifications
- A minimum of five years experience in the examination or interpretation of plans and associated computations for the construction and alteration of buildings and structures, with special knowledge of architectural, structural, mechanical, and electrical engineering principles.
- Must have thorough knowledge of the Massachusetts Building Code and all rules and regulations applicable to that code, as well as the ability to interpret rules and regulations relating to construction and alteration of buildings and structures.
- An undergraduate degree with a major in engineering, architecture, or construction may be substituted for a maximum of two years of the required experience on the basis of one year of education to six months of the required experience.
- Registration as an engineer or architect may be substituted for all but one year of the required experience.
- A multi-lingual candidate is also preferred.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the job.
- Applicants meeting the minimum entrance qualifications will be considered for this position.
- Certification as a Massachusetts Building Official is required within 18 months of hire per 780CMR.
- Failure to meet the requirement will result in termination.
City of Boston residency required.
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: SENA/MM1-9
Hours per week: 35