The town of Bedford Department of Public Works (DPW) is searching for a full-time (40 hours/week) Assistant Director in its Administrative Division located at 314 Great Road in Bedford. This position performs a variety of managerial, administrative, and technical duties aiding the Director with a heavy emphasis on project management in the department’s Divisions (Grounds, Highway, Mechanical, Sewer, and Water). The position performs both assigned and independent duties. The position requires coordination and implementation of a variety of Public Works projects. This position serves as Acting Public Works Director in the absence of the Director, community liaison, staff liaison on various commissions, and manager of community projects. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing Public Works projects across all divisions. Works independently to manage all aspects of capital improvement projects through design, specification, estimating, procurement, construction, and inspection.
- Supervising administrative staff and, in the absence of the Director, the entire staff.
- Overseeing DPW related to procurement, budget preparation, and capital planning.
- Attending staff, board, and agency meetings to represent the DPW.
- Handling resident questions and complaints.
The successful applicant shall have a background in project management, public administration, engineering, or a related field; five years of experience with project design, specifications, capital improvement projects, with preference given for experience in water/sewer systems; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. A Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Operator’s license is required. Strong computer skills are required. Experience supervising staff is desirable.
This position is a salaried position. Starting salary range is $77,675.69 to $99,070.23, depending on experience.
Please visit the town of Bedford Employment Opportunities page for the town application and more information at www.bedfordma.gov.