Position: Administrative Assistant
Reports to: Superintendent of Schools
Under the direction of the Superintendent of Schools, the Administrative Assistant, performs a variety of administrative and secretarial tasks to relieve the Superintendent of detail and ensure the smooth, efficient operation of the office.
Nature of Position
This position requires a close, continuing relationship with the Superintendent of Schools and provides support in all operational aspects of the office. Work requires a thorough knowledge of the vision, goals, practices and procedures of the school system, the ability to process inquiries from staff and the broader community, interface with the School Committee and maintain a high level of confidentiality.
This position plays a key role in managing the written and oral communications among the Superintendent’s Office, the preschool, seven elementary schools, middle and senior high schools, and the various town departments relating to the operation of the Wellesley Public Schools.
The Administrative Assistant works closely with staff in other areas of the Central Office, including the offices of the Assistant Superintendents, Student Services, the Business Office, Human Resources, and Technology.
The incumbent works with the School Committee secretary in preparation of the School Committee agenda and other pertinent meeting materials.
The incumbent is expected to alert the Superintendent on matters requiring their attention, and anticipate, undertake and accomplish varied tasks with a minimum of supervision, foreseeing their probable opinions and requirements, and responding accordingly.
Bachelor’s degree and three or more years of secretarial/administrative experience preferred, or an associate degree and five or more years of increasingly responsible secretarial/administrative experience, preferably in a school system administration office.
Excellent interpersonal skills are essential and include the ability to:
- Works collegially and cooperatively with all constituencies within the school community.
- Assists other coworkers as needed.
- Effectively meets and deals with the public.
- Communicates effectively, orally and in writing.
- Prioritizes work based on the Superintendent’s needs.
- Handles stressful situations with tact and good judgment.
Strong written and oral communication skills and attention to detail are required to proofread and edit documents, compose written communications and other materials for publication.
Must have or be able to quickly develop a high level of proficiency in using Mac iOS, Google platform, and Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). Familiarity with the district’s website content management system (WordPress), student database (PowerSchool) and financial application (MUNIS) is desired.
Must have or develop proficient knowledge of the district’s staff and responsibilities, practices and procedures, School Committee policies, the Massachusetts Public Records Law, and the Massachusetts Open Meeting Law.
Compensation: $64,141-$87,963, commensurate with experience.
The Administrative Assistant will use tact and diplomacy when communicating with the Superintendent’s associates, parents, professional staff, and the general public, exercising a considerable degree of independent judgment with information kept confidential, as appropriate.
Performs a wide variety of administrative tasks, including:
- Manages the Superintendent’s calendar and makes complete arrangements for standing and ad hoc meetings, conferences, travel, and interviews, including related materials and logistics.
- Represents the Superintendent in answering routine inquiries from parents, residents, teachers and administrators, other town department representatives, other school systems and state and federal officials, as appropriate.
- Proofreads and edits written material for accuracy of spelling, grammar, content, and format.
- Updates, edits, maintains the Wellesley Public Schools’ web pages relative to the Superintendent’s Office.
- Uses technology tools effectively to prepare report presentations and public relations material for the Superintendent.
- Attends meetings and takes notes, as required.
- Prepares the weekly Superintendent’s Bulletin and keeps information up to date within the document.
- Directs and coordinates the efforts of various departments, as required, for certain district projects and initiatives by assigning segments of work, follow-up, checking for accuracy and completion.
- Works with other school and community organizations such as the Wellesley Education Foundation, Central Council, and parent/teacher organizations, as necessary.
Performs a variety of miscellaneous duties involving:
- Receives and places telephone calls for the Superintendent; screens and redirects as appropriate.
- Collects and reviews incoming mail, assembling and attaching appropriate backup for the Superintendent’s review.
- Composes replies for the Superintendent’s review and signature for routine inquiries.
- Manages the expense budget for the office, including creating requisitions for supplies and materials, as well as conference accommodations.
- Maintains effective electronic and paper filing system that ensures timely retrieval of all relevant information related to policies and practices, laws and regulations, school system history, contracts, and reports. Complies with Massachusetts Public Records Law as it pertains to the retention of public documents and oversees the permanent archive of such documents as appropriate.
- Performs other administrative tasks as required by the Superintendent.
Interested applicants, please apply on TalentEd: https://wellesleyps.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx.